Working towards sustainable cities in practical development and management
The objective of the Sustainable City programme is to solve cities’ sustainable development challenges and disseminate good practices in collaboration with cities and municipalities. The programme also aims to develop new solutions to achieve sustainable urban development and sustainable lifestyles for city residents.
We will tackle the challenges of urban sustainable development through the following actions:
- focusing on resolving challenges that unite the different themes of sustainability and are not being addressed by the current measures,
- developing cities as trial platforms and seeking new solutions in practical experiments and pilot projects,
- disseminating and replicating good practices and lessons learned, and
- strengthening international connections in urban development.
Sustainable development will be highlighted as a cross-cutting theme in the strategies and decision-making criteria of cities:
- incorporating sustainable development into cities’ strategies and programmes, operational and financial planning and monitoring procedures,
- setting ambitious targets for sustainable development and taking concrete steps to achieve them,
- developing new practices and cooperation models and strengthening equality in the dialogue among different stakeholders.